Spray particle and spray droplet size measurement.
Malvern Instrument’s Spraytec laser diffraction system allows measurement of spray particle and spray droplet size distributions in real-time for more efficient product development of sprays and aerosols. It has been specifically designed to address the unique requirements for spray characterization and deliver robust, reproducible droplet size data.
Incorporating over 35 years of experience in spray applications, the Malvern Spraytec provides the data required to fully understand spray and atomization processes. It will:
- Measurement across a wide size range (0.1 – 2000 microns) without requiring constant optics changes.
- Resolve rapid changes in droplet size over time, by measuring up to 10,000 measurements a second.
- Deliver accurate, concentration-independent results using a patented multiple scattering analysis.
- Characterize wide spray plumes without risking optical contamination.
- Simply reveal the dynamic changes in spray particle size through its unique size history analysis software.
How it works
The Malvern Spraytec uses the technique of laser diffraction for measurement of the size of spray droplets and spray particles. It does this by measuring the intensity of light scattered as a laser beam passes through a spray. This data is then analyzed to calculate the size of the droplets that created the scattering pattern.
The Spraytec system is made up of the following main elements:
- A transmitter module which contains the collimated laser light source used to illuminate the spray during a measurement.
- A receiver module which can hold one of two lenses (300mm or 750mm) which focus any light scattered by the spray onto a series of detectors. These detectors accurately measure the intensity of light scattered by the spray droplets over a wide range of angles.
- An optical bench which ensures the transmitter and receiver are aligned. The length of this can be changed in order to fit with different applications, with the longest bench being 2.5m long.
- The Spraytec software which controls the system during the measurement process and analyzes the scattering data to calculate spray size distributions. The results are displayed as a ‘size history’ trend plot, allowing any changes in the droplet size over time to be instantly recognized.
- Laser Light Scattering.
- Mie and Fraunhofer scattering including a patented multiple scattering analysis.
- Maximum Data acquisition rate
- Rapid mode: 10kHz.
Continuous mode: 1Hz.
- Maximum Measurement Time
- Rapid mode: 30 seconds.
Continuous mode: 60 minutes.
- Measurement Triggering
- Internal: Based on transmission or light scattering levels.
External: Based on TTL input or simple switch trigger.
- External Device Synchronization
- Via 2 TTL trigger outputs.
- Light Source
- Max 4mW He-Ne Laser, 632.8nm.
- Lens Arrangement
- Fourier (parallel beam).
- Lens Focal Length(s)
- 300mm and 750mm.
- Measurement Working Range*
- 150mm at 0.5 µm, extending to greater than 1m above 5 µm.
- 36 element log-spaced array.
- Angular range
- 0.015 – 17 degrees.**
- Size Range
- 300mm lens: 0.1 – 900 µm (Dv50: 0.5 – 600 µm).
750mm lens: 2 – 2000 µm (Dv50: 5 – 1600 µm).
- Better than 1%.***
- Better than 1%.***
- Better than 1%.***
- 21CFR Par 11
- Enables an operating mode that assists with ER/ES compliance.
- Laser Class
- Class 3R, IEC60825-1:2007 and CFR Chapter 1: Sub-chapter J: Part 1040 (CDRH).
- Regulatory testing
- CE / FCC compliant.
Meets requirements of the European Low Voltage directive.
Weight and dimensions
- Laboratory systems
- 950mm optical bench: 950mmx550mmx610mm (36kg).
1400mm optical bench: 37kg 1400x550x610 (37kg).
- Spray Facility Systems
- 950mm optical bench: 950mmx550mmx650mm (36kg).
1400mm optical bench: 1400x550x650 (37kg).
- Supply Voltage
- 100/240 v, 50/60 Hz.
- Product storage temperature
- -20°C to +50°C.
- Operational temperature range
- +15°C to +40°C.
- Humidity range
- 80% maximum for temperatures up to 31°C, decreasing linearly to 50% at 40 °C. Non-condensing.
- Ingress Protection
- IP65 when in normal use
Computer Specification (recommended)
- Computer interface
- At least 1 USB port required.
- Operating System
- Windows XP Professional (SP3 or higher).
Windows 7 professional (32bit or 64 bit).
- Hardware Specification
- Intel 2.8GHz Pentium IV Processor, 512GB RAM, 160GB HD, CD-ROM or DVD +/-RW drive, 17 inch Flat Panel Monitor.
- This defines the maximum allowable distance between the far edge of the spray plume and the Spraytec receiver lens.
- Lens dependent.
- Relates to the measurement of the Dv50 for NIST-traceable latex standards. Sample dependent.